Re: Setting timezone: is it bug or intended?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Yura Sokolov <funny(dot)falcon(at)gmail(dot)com>, Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Setting timezone: is it bug or intended?
Date: 2011-04-26 21:48:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> It already is documented. See
>> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/datatype-datetime.html#DATATYPE-TIMEZONES
>> specifically the point that POSIX zone names have the opposite sign
>> convention from ISO-8601.
>>
>> The great thing about standards is there are so many to choose from ;-)

> What isn't documented is why the sign changes for +0300 but not +03:

+03:00 is a legal POSIX zone name (hence the sign is different from SQL
convention). The other one is evidently being handled by this code path
in check_timezone:

/*
* Try it as a numeric number of hours (possibly fractional).
*/
hours = strtod(*newval, &endptr);
if (endptr != *newval && *endptr == '\0')
{
/* Here we change from SQL to Unix sign convention */
myextra.CTimeZone = -hours * SECS_PER_HOUR;
myextra.HasCTZSet = true;
}

which I think is legacy code meant to deal with SQL-standard
specification of timezone offsets as INTERVAL values. You get the same
interpretation of sign when you use the SQL-spec syntax:

regression=# set time zone interval '+03:00';
SET
regression=# select now();
now
2011-04-27 00:44:53.560295+03
(1 row)

Like I said, too many standards with their fingers in this pie.