Re: Duplicate constraint names in 7.0.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Duplicate constraint names in 7.0.3
Date: 2001-05-04 03:24:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com> writes:
> If I read the spec correctly, table constraint names are supposed to be
> unique across a schema.

That's what the spec says, but I doubt we should enforce it. For one
thing, what do you do with inherited constraints? Invent a random name
for them? No thanks. The absolute limit of what I'd accept is
constraint name unique for a given table ... and even that seems like
an unnecessary restriction.

>> I was just fiddling around with trying to implement the 'DROP CONSTRAINT'
>> code (it's quite hard - don't wait up for me!) and it would seem to be a bad
>> thing that it's possible to have two constraints with the same name in a
>> table.

A reasonable interpretation of DROP CONSTRAINT "foo" is to drop *all*
constraints named "foo" on the target table.