Re: BUG #5308: How to disable Case sensitivity on naming identifiers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris Travers <chris(at)metatrontech(dot)com>
Cc: Kelly SACAULT <kelly(dot)sacault(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5308: How to disable Case sensitivity on naming identifiers
Date: 2010-02-03 19:52:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Chris Travers <chris(at)metatrontech(dot)com> writes:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Kelly SACAULT <kelly(dot)sacault(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>>> ".. Identifier and key word names are case insensitive..."
>>
>> You need to not stop reading at that point, but continue on to the part
>> that explains how quoted identifiers work.

> The only issue here (not a major one, maybe not even worth fixing, but
> probably worth mentioning) is that the discussion of case folding is
> more than a screen away and that it isn't immediately clear that there
> is more discussion. It is probably understandable that some people
> would miss it (I did, a moment ago, until you mentioned it). A simple
> (see below) might be a good idea.

Or we could rephrase, perhaps

"Key words and unquoted identifiers are case insensitive..."

which would at least cue people that there's more to learn. We can't
try to explain every detail in the first sentence though.

> Then again it might be a good
> thing for someone else (not generally engrossed in development on the
> project) to submit a patch for :-)

Yeah ... those of us who've already learned this stuff are probably not
able to see it with a novice's eyes.