Re: INSERT .... RETURNING

From: "Dennis Brakhane" <brakhane(at)googlemail(dot)com>
To: "Rafal Pietrak" <rafal(at)zorro(dot)isa-geek(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: INSERT .... RETURNING
Date: 2008-11-07 19:45:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Rafal Pietrak <rafal(at)zorro(dot)isa-geek(dot)com> wrote:
> One comment I'd like to make as total lamer on the subject, is that the
> assumption on SELECT (that it's not firing triggers), could potentially
> be resolved by a *global* or "database" configuration option - once
> selected, the SQL programmers' responsibility would be: not to assume
> that on SELECT at the application layer.

I think Tom meant that PostgreSQL's code assumes that select fires no triggers.
Hence, triggers (and probably constraints) wouldn't fire if you did a
select (insert ... returning).
So your setting would basically mean "make triggers fire some of the
time, and I don't
care about data consistency either". I doubt any sane person would
activate it ;)