Re: DatabaseMetadata problems

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rene Pijlman <rene(at)lab(dot)applinet(dot)nl>
Cc: Tom Falconer <tom_falconer(at)lineone(dot)net>, "'pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DatabaseMetadata problems
Date: 2001-09-07 13:58:36
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Rene Pijlman <rene(at)lab(dot)applinet(dot)nl> writes:
> Reading the book "Understanding the SQL standard" it seems that
> what the standard calls a schema is a database in PostgreSQL. A
> catalog is a set of schemas. Following the standard, a session
> is supposed to have access to a catalog, but in PostgreSQL it
> has access to a database.

> Perhaps this feature has not yet been implemented because of
> such fundamental mapping problems.

I think it'd be a mistake to expend much effort on this issue in JDBC
right now. We will eventually implement SQL92-compliant schemas in the
backend, and once that happens it'll be possible to do something
reasonable with the catalog metadata routines in JDBC. If you try
to make a half-usable implementation now, you'll just create backwards-
compatibility issues for the real implementation later. So my counsel
is: acknowledge that it's broken, but ignore it for now.

When is "eventually"? Possibly 7.3, but I can't promise anything...