Re: Performance of ODBC-Driver /w IIS5.0/ColdFusion

From: "Markus Wollny" <Markus(dot)Wollny(at)computec(dot)de>
To: <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance of ODBC-Driver /w IIS5.0/ColdFusion
Date: 2002-07-08 09:02:35
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-odbc

Hello!

Probably not a problem of ODBC itself but more likely due to the change
in architecture in combination with the behaviour of the ColdFusion
server. With Oracle and it's schema-support (I'm looking very much
forward to seeing this feature in PostgreSQL later this year, hopefully)
it was easy for CF to assign the connections, because there only was one
datasource. Now we've got ten datasources altogether which could, I
presume, lead to the effect, that several transactions are carried out
for one datasource, but several others are still on queue for other
datasources, preventing the completion of the current website and
therefore just loading up ColdFusions request-queue in a vicious circle.

We're doing as much as possible to avoid long queries and have been
quite successful after a difficult start - Oracle's optimizer is quite a
bit more good natured and we've been a bit spoiled by it, I think. We've
eliminated all the "killer queries" and now we've got execution times of
just over 2 seconds for some rare big queries, most of the lot is well
below half a second.

We're still trying to find out what the bootleneck is, so thanks for
your hints!

Regards,

Markus