Re: MaxOffsetNumber for Table AMs

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MaxOffsetNumber for Table AMs
Date: 2021-05-05 17:12:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2021-05-05 at 10:27 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> It's too early for the project to commit to stability in
> this area; we have not managed to get a single AM apart from heapam
> into core

"In core" shouldn't matter. In fact, if it's in core, stability of the
APIs is much less important.

> If and when we have say 5 of those

That seems like a standard that we won't reach in any reasonable amount
of time.

> we can probably
> articulate some intelligent ideas about what we think the patterns
> that need to hold for future AMs are, but it's reckless to
> extrapolate
> from 1 working example, and right now that's all we have.

We should count columnar as a second example. While it doesn't support
everything that heap does, we are actively working on it and it's
gaining features quickly. It's also showing some impressive real-world
results.

Regards,
Jeff Davis