Re: Missing "E'" in pltcl_loadmod

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: mestan(at)dix(dot)cz
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Missing "E'" in pltcl_loadmod
Date: 2017-02-25 18:30:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

mestan(at)dix(dot)cz writes:
> in lates version script pltcl_loadmod missed E' in insert
> command. Resul is, that module loading not work alt all. Yes,
> module is loaded, but loaded code is maformed.

This is clearly a bug of long standing, but I do not think the patch
you propose is adequate --- there are a lot of places where those
scripts would need 'E' added in order to be safe.

Seeing that this has evidently been broken for more than five years
and nobody has noticed, I'm inclined to think that nobody is using
the PL/Tcl "modules" support at all, and we should remove it rather
than spend effort to fix it. I've proposed that to pgsql-hackers at
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/22067.1488046447@sss.pgh.pa.us

If you think that's a bad answer, please follow up in that thread
and explain why you think we should keep this code.