Re: Runtime Configuration Docs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Runtime Configuration Docs
Date: 2003-06-13 02:12:20
Lists: pgsql-docs

> 1) Can someone check my SGML? I am not familiar with Docbook, and I did t=
> his=20
> using a simple text editor (there being no Docbook Gui that I could find).
> 2) If it parses, can someone recommend a docbook-to-html tool so I can read=
> =20
> the darn thing? I tried one off freshmeat but it didn't seem to work.

Given that you've installed all the tools mentioned in the docs section
on how to build the docs, a quick "make" in doc/src/sgml should do the
trick for both.

I fooled around making this happen on my Red Hat 8.0 box just recently.
My recollection is that all the tools were installed already (though I
may have made a point of selecting them when I installed the distro) ...
but I had to tweak a couple of symlinks that were pointing to the wrong
places before Postgres' configure would agree that I had a working doc
toolchain.

> 3) two new options, ADD_MISSING_FROM and HAS_RENDEZVOUS have been left blan=
> k.=20=20=20
> Who will be documenting those? I can do the first, if wanted.

The docs for the former should have been in the commit that implemented
it ... how old is the checkout you started from? As for the latter, I
think Bruce is presently claiming we don't need a GUC variable at all
for it.

> 4) The Hackers list has generally (Tom, Jan, Bruce) indicated that the=20
> "developer" options (TRACE_*, WAL_DEBUG, ZERO_DAMAGED_PAGES, etc.) should=
> =20
> *not* go on the RUNTIME.SGML page. Any idea where we can put them instead?

If we're going to document them, then that's the file they belong in.
Just make a separate subsection with an appropriate title.