Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL Regression Test Problems (Revisited)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL Regression Test Problems (Revisited)
Date: 2001-03-29 16:40:08
Lists: pgsql-ports

Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com> writes:
> status = CONNECTION_STARTED, asyncStatus = PGASYNC_IDLE,

Oh-ho, that's interesting! If you look at fe-connect.c you'll see that
CONNECTION_STARTED must indicate that connect() returned EINPROGRESS
rather than a success indication. The socket is supposed to go
write-ready when the connection is finished --- for example HPUX's
connect man page sez

[EINPROGRESS] Nonblocking I/O is enabled using
O_NONBLOCK, O_NDELAY, or FIOSNBIO, and
the connection cannot be completed
immediately. This is not a failure.
Make the connect() call again a few
seconds later. Alternatively, wait for
completion by calling select() and
selecting for write.

But, evidently, it never is coming ready for write.

BTW, I note that we are trying to use Unix sockets here. Does the bug
still appear if you force pg_regress to use TCP connections?