Re: PQescapeBytea on Win32

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, Key88 SF <key88sf(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PQescapeBytea on Win32
Date: 2003-03-22 19:09:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Do we really want "PQfreemem" either? Maybe it should be "PQfree"?

> I am a little concerned that PQfree would be confused with PQclear.

Good point --- nevermind that suggestion.

> Could we have PQfreeNotify() be a macro to PQfreemem in 7.4?

I'd like to do that but I doubt we can get away with it; it'd be
an incompatible change at the binary API level, forcing a major
version bump on libpq.so. (On the other hand, we might wind up
doing one anyway; not sure.)

You could do it the other way: PQfreemem a macro for PQfreeNotify.
That would stay binary-compatible with existing clients. We could
switch which one is a macro at the next occasion for a major
version bump on the shlib, and then eventually remove PQfreeNotify
when we feel it's been deprecated for long enough.