Re: async notification patch for dblink

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Hackers (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Marcus Kempe <marcus(at)kempe(dot)cc>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: async notification patch for dblink
Date: 2009-08-04 14:18:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Sure, I guess I ought to use the latest-and-greatest. Any other comments
> before I commit?

That "be_pid/be_pid" hack in the regression test is pretty ugly, and
doesn't test anything very useful anyway seeing that it's integer
division. Could you do something like
be_pid = pg_backend_pid() AS is_self_notify
instead, to verify that it's a self-notify? (This is not quite right
because you'd need to execute pg_backend_pid() at the remote end, but
I'm not awake enough to remember the dblink syntax for that. Maybe
it's too complex to be worth it, but I think demonstrating how to
check for self-notify would be a useful bit of doco.)

Otherwise it looks ok to me.