Re: make check fails: user "postgres" doesn't exist

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Markus Bertheau <twanger(at)bluetwanger(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: make check fails: user "postgres" doesn't exist
Date: 2003-07-01 22:03:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Markus Bertheau <twanger(at)bluetwanger(dot)de> writes:
>>> make check fails, and I have absolutely no idea where to look:
>>
>> (scratches head...) make check should automatically adopt your current
>> username as the postgres superuser name, AFAIK. Perhaps there is some
>> conflict in your environment settings? Do you have PGUSER defined, and
>> if so is it different from your login name?

> Exactly that was the case, thanks.

Hmm, seems like a misfeature in pg_regress. I guess adopting PGUSER
from the environment is a good thing to do in the "make installcheck"
case, but maybe it should drop it (along with the other environment
variables that could affect connections) in the "make check" case.
Peter, any thoughts about that?