Re: Mapping Oracle types to PostgreSQL types

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(at)poure(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mapping Oracle types to PostgreSQL types
Date: 2003-10-17 14:05:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

> Jean-Michel POURE writes:
>> Is there a way to map Oracle nvarchar2(lenght) to PostgreSQL varchar(lenght)
>> in PostgreSQL 7.3? Are there plans to allow such mapping in the future using
>> the CREATE DOMAIN syntax?

> No to both. Doing this would most likely require making the affected type
> names be reserved words in the grammar

Right. At the moment, *all* the type names that support parenthesized
options are hard-wired into the grammar. I think this is probably
unavoidable because otherwise there is a conflict between interpreting
"foo(3)" as a type name and interpreting it as a function call. (But
if anyone can think of a way around that, I'm all ears.)

Since varchar(n) is SQL-standard syntax, can't you simply adopt the more
standard name for both databases?