Re: Customized Options Threshold Error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: furuyao(at)pm(dot)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, teranishih(at)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp
Subject: Re: Customized Options Threshold Error
Date: 2014-11-14 14:35:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

<furuyao(at)pm(dot)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> When we specify a value which exceeds valid range in "Customized Options" ,
> its behavior is different from "Parameter Interaction via Configuration File" behavior.

> In case of "Parameter Interaction via Configuration File", it finish with FATAL error when it get threshold error.
> But in "Customized Options", it just printout WARNING and continue the process with default value.

I think this is based on a misunderstanding. Bad values in
postgresql.conf only result in a FATAL error at initial postmaster
startup; if you change them and SIGHUP the server, an erroneous new
value just results in a WARNING. This is because we don't really
want the server crashing once it's up. The case you're showing with
registering a new background worker is something that happens after
the server is up, so it's consistent for it to produce a WARNING
not a fatal error.