Re: git: uh-oh

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Haggerty <mhagger(at)alum(dot)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Max Bowsher <maxb(at)f2s(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: git: uh-oh
Date: 2010-08-25 17:41:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Haggerty <mhagger(at)alum(dot)mit(dot)edu> writes:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> The fact that the file was "modified" twice after being removed at rev
>> 2.88 seems really wacko. Are you sure that's not contributing to what
>> we're seeing here?

> I think this is the normal behavior when a file is deleted then
> re-added. In version 2.89 the file was re-added, and its delta is
> against the pre-deleted version (presumably 2.87).

The thing that was confusing was that Vadim apparently saw the file as
being still live, while none of the rest of us did. I don't think he
did an explicit "cvs add" to make it live again, because if he had,
that should have propagated to the repository and the rest of us would
have seen it.

It took some considerable fooling around (though unfortunately I don't
recall the exact details) to persuade my checkout that gram.c wasn't
deleted so that I could delete it again.