Re: Out of space

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Tom Bakken" <tom(dot)bakken(at)tx(dot)usda(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Out of space
Date: 2004-04-07 17:22:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Tom Bakken" <tom(dot)bakken(at)tx(dot)usda(dot)gov> writes:
> I've been running a postgres for 2 or 3 years without a problem. This
> morning my disk space for the database filled up. I need to know what
> transaction/log files I can truncate or delete without compromising the
> system. These files are located under /var/lib/pgsql/data/

I wouldn't recommend deleting *any* files manually --- unless you find
core files or old files underneath a pgsql_tmp subdirectory. Those you
could zap at little risk.

The best approach is to free up a small amount of space elsewhere,
enough so you can get through a CHECKPOINT without failing. The
checkpoint will hopefully free up some space in pg_xlog. After that you
can look at dropping tables you don't need any more, VACUUM FULL, etc.