Re: shadow variables - pg15 edition

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)postgresql(dot)org>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: shadow variables - pg15 edition
Date: 2022-08-18 03:42:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> A lot of the changes proposed here update the code so as the same
> variable gets used across more code paths by removing declarations,
> but we have two variables defined because both are aimed to be used in
> a different context (see AttachPartitionEnsureIndexes() in tablecmds.c
> for example).

> Wouldn't it be a saner approach in a lot of cases to rename the
> shadowed variables (aka the ones getting removed in your patches) and
> keep them local to the code paths where we use them?

Yeah. I do not think a patch of this sort has any business changing
the scopes of variables. That moves it out of "cosmetic cleanup"
and into "hm, I wonder if this introduces any bugs". Most hackers
are going to decide that they have better ways to spend their time
than doing that level of analysis for a very noncritical patch.