Re: Using psql -f to load a UTF8 file

From: Alban Hertroys <haramrae(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
Subject: Re: Using psql -f to load a UTF8 file
Date: 2012-09-21 07:01:45
Lists: pgsql-general

> I strongly disagree. The BOM provides a useful and standard way to differentiate UTF-8 encoded text files from the random pile of encodings that any given file could be.

I agree on the concept, but I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how a "Byte Order Marker" is useful to an 8-bit encoding. It's not possible to get the byte order wrong in UTF-8, is it?
Yes, being able to mark data as being encoded as UTF-8 is useful, but is a BOM the right tool?

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.