Re: [INTERFACES] lo_export & pgaccess

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: "Ken J(dot) Wright" <ken(at)ori-ind(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] lo_export & pgaccess
Date: 1999-06-30 14:59:31
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
> No, that is not what I was complaining about at first, but that is
> what I *should* have been complaining about :) I've got Makefile
> patches which will allow the apps and libraries to be built using
> shared libraries, though the sequence to do that is not pretty (yet)
> since it involves building the interfaces to get libpq, installing
> them to get libpq.so, and then cleaning and rebuilding to make sure
> that the other interfaces and apps see this new shared library.

The real issue here is whether the higher-level libraries and apps
need to have the absolute path to the installed copy of libpq embedded
in them, or only the file name of libpq.so.whatever.

On some systems (like HPUX) an absolute path actually is needed :-(
but I was under the impression that this was *not* required for Linux;
instead the ldconfig map is used to locate a shlib based on just its
filename, no?

If so, fixing the build procedure to generate a dummy set of symlinks
in the build directory might eliminate the need for the pushups Thomas
has been working on. I'm guessing that the real problem here is just
that the linker fails to make a reference to libpq.so at all unless
there is a version-numbered symlink in the directory it's told to
look in. (You should be able to check this with ldd...)

> If you modify Makefile.shlib to do the soft links, then perhaps my
> patches to have the linker look in "$(LIBDIR)" (if it finds
> $(LIBDIR)/libpq.*) instead of "$(LIBPQDIR)" are not necessary. I'll
> hold off on patching until we decide the best approach.

I will patch Makefile.shlib for this today, and then we'll see what
happens.

regards, tom lane