Re: Release 14 Schedule

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Release 14 Schedule
Date: 2021-09-22 16:30:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> On 9/22/21 11:15 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 5:12 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> Numerous performance improvements have been made for parallel queries,
>>> heavily-concurrent workloads, partitioned tables, logical replication, and
>>> vacuuming. Notably, foreign data wrappers can now make use of query
>>> parallelism.

>> "foreign data wrappers and stored procedures/functions" maybe?

> +1

I thought the point about FDWs was important because actual work (by
FDW authors) is needed to make anything happen. The extra parallelism
inside plpgsql functions doesn't require user effort, so I don't see
that it needs to be called out separately.

>> I have a feeling emergency mode vacuum fits on that list. Not in the
>> press release, but in the major features list of the release notes.

> Given some recent news I saw floating around, I'd agree with this.

Meh ... if it didn't make the press release's longer list, why is
it critical here?

> My suggestion on ordering:

My thought was "SQL features first, then performance".