Re: stuck spinlock

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Waugh <jaw(at)ic(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: stuck spinlock
Date: 2001-11-23 01:42:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

Jeff Waugh <jaw(at)ic(dot)net> writes:
> I have a database that was busy when it's server was rebooted.
> Following is the output of postmaster -d4. It runs for about 15 minutes
> and then core dumps.

Do you want to let someone get in there and try to debug it? I suspect
you are seeing some sort of bug in the WAL recovery code, but there's no
way to find and fix it with only this much info. Somebody would need to
go in with a debugger.

> Any advice how I can get this database started again?

If "getting up pronto" is more important than anything else, you could
try resetting the xlog (see contrib/pg_resetxlog), and then manually
scratching around to look for consistency problems. But please, before
you do that, take a backup (eg tarfile dump) of your entire $PGDATA
tree, so that we have the evidence available for debugging
investigations.