Re: Commit Fest (was Re: Sort Refinement)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Commit Fest (was Re: Sort Refinement)
Date: 2008-03-21 15:30:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> Umm, I don't think there's any patches from me in the queue that need
> review. There's some discussion threads related to bitmap indexes, but
> that's all. We're definitely not going to get bitmap indexes in this
> commit fest.

I think there are basically three types of work represented in the
current patch queue:

1. Actual patches that have some hope of being applied now, and if not
we are supposed to provide feedback about what's needed to fix them.

2. Design proposals that require further feedback. I think the idea
of the commit fest is that we should provide such feedback now, so
that whoever is going to work on it can proceed.

3. Discussions that don't really need any further feedback right now,
but should be summarized as TODO entries.

The reason category 3 is represented is that this is after all
Bruce's personal work queue (you'll remember that I pushed him to
open it up before he'd finished cleaning out that type of entry).

Personally I've been trying to knock off items in category 1.
It'd be useful for people to go through some of the longer discussion
threads and try to categorize them as needing further discussion now
or being just TODO items.