Re: IPv6 link-local addresses and init data type

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Dunstan <pgsql(at)tomd(dot)cc>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: IPv6 link-local addresses and init data type
Date: 2016-06-04 03:50:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Yeah, but what if somebody doesn't want to store scopes?

[ shrug... ] We can invent a "strip_scope()" sort of function,
analogous to the weight-stripping function for tsvectors, or several
other examples. That's a really lame excuse for not being *able*
to store scopes.

> ff::1%fourscoreandsevenyearsagoourforefathersbroughtforthonthiscontinentanewnationconceivedinlibertyanddedicatedtothepropositionthatlallmenarecreatedequal

I have not looked at the spec, but I wouldn't be surprised if there
were an upper limit on the length of valid scope names.