Re: BUG #7550: NULL result when coercing a subquery result into an array

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: tom(at)tomforb(dot)es
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #7550: NULL result when coercing a subquery result into an array
Date: 2012-09-17 20:38:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

tom(at)tomforb(dot)es writes:
> I have two queries:
> http://pgsql.privatepaste.com/7d1473defa
> http://pgsql.privatepaste.com/85e1d43b7a

> The first query returns NULL and the second one returns an int[] with 623
> elements in it. The only difference between the two queries is the last
> string - 'J. P. Bickella' returns NULL and 'J. P. Bickell' returns an
> int[].

That's ... bizarre. I assume you were running this same query without
issues on earlier PG versions? Which?

> If needed I can host the database this query is executing on for people to
> download upon request, but it is 1.2gb in size.

I suspect that you could reproduce the problem with a much smaller
extract from the table, perhaps a couple thousand rows. Please try
to create a self-contained test case along those lines --- it'll be
easier all around than dealing with 1GB of data.