Re: [INTERFACES] libpq PQftype() to comprehend types?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Olivier <mo(at)local2me(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] libpq PQftype() to comprehend types?
Date: 1999-03-12 01:59:23
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Michael Olivier <mo(at)local2me(dot)com> writes:
> Can someone tell me how I can use PQftype() or some other mechanism to
> interpret a query result in terms of the data types of the columns?

The PQftype value is the OID of the row for the type in the system
pg_type catalog. Try

SELECT * FROM pg_type WHERE oid = <PQftype result>

BTW: oid's for the predefined types are consistent across installations,
but oid's for user-defined types are not (and shouldn't even be trusted
across a save/reload).

regards, tom lane