Re: [HACKERS] WAL logging freezing

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] WAL logging freezing
Date: 2006-10-31 01:40:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> That was understood; in the above example I agree you need to flush. If
> you don't pass a truncation point, you don't need to flush whether or
> not you actually truncate. So we don't need to flush *every* time,

OK, but does that actually do much of anything for your performance
complaint? Just after GlobalXmin has passed a truncation point, *every*
vacuum the system does will start performing a flush-n-fsync, which
seems like exactly what you didn't like. If the syncs were spread out
in time for different rels then maybe this idea would help, but AFAICS
they won't be.