ECPG regression tests seem rather fundamentally broken

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ECPG regression tests seem rather fundamentally broken
Date: 2007-01-21 06:02:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

AFAICT, every buildfarm machine that runs ecpg tests has been failing
since Peter's patch here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2007-01/msg00241.php

Now it looks to me like Peter was simply wrong: we do need to include
libpq because libecpg depends on it. However, I tried reverting the
change and things still did not work. The reason is that the test
programs are built with relative paths to libpq that look like
../../../../../src/interfaces/libpq/libpq.sl.5
and then executed one level up from where they were built, causing
the relative path to be no good. I suspect the only reason it has
been appearing to work for awhile is that people had usable copies
of libpq and perhaps libecpg installed in system-standard library
directories. Take away those preinstalled libs, or render them
version-incompatible, and the ecpg tests stop working.