Re: Major performance problem after upgrade from 8.3 to 8.4

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gerhard Wiesinger <lists(at)wiesinger(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Major performance problem after upgrade from 8.3 to 8.4
Date: 2010-09-03 14:14:50
Lists: pgsql-performance

Gerhard Wiesinger <lists(at)wiesinger(dot)com> writes:
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2010, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Hm, you sure about that? What's in the postmaster log?

> That's the strange thing: I don't have anything in stdout/stderr log and
> in pg_log directory and even in syslog.

Not even in that pgstartup.log file you sent stderr to?

I have seen cases before where Postgres couldn't log anything because of
SELinux. If this is a Red Hat based system, look in the kernel log for
AVC messages. If you see any, then SELinux is probably blocking things
because of the nonstandard directory locations. Turning it off
temporarily would be the easiest fix, though relabeling the files would
be a better one.