AW: AW: Big 7.1 open items

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Hiroshi Inoue'" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: AW: AW: Big 7.1 open items
Date: 2000-06-28 12:07:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> AFAIK,schema is independent from user in SQL92.
> So default_tablespace_per_user doesn't necessarily imply
> default_tablespace_per_schema.

Well, sombody must be interpreting this wrong, because
in Informix and Oracle the schema corresponds to the owner
and they say they conform to ansi in this regard.
In both, a user can access other schemas or switch to another
schema, so in that sense you could say that the schema is
independent of users.

> However SQL92 seems to have another hierarchy:
> cluster -> catalog -> schema -> object

I would say our "database" corresponds to "catalog" and
"instance" corresponds to "cluster" in the SQL92 hierarchy.
Instance is probably a bad wording in respect to multiple
machine clusters where you can access all objects
from every node.
Database was probably not used, because this is often used
to describe the whole hierarchy.

> I couldn't find clear correspondense between PG's *database*
> and above hierarchy because we have no dot notation for
> objects currently.

This will definitely be a problem because of our current nested dot
interpretation towards functions taking one opaque or _class_type
argument.

Andreas