AW: AW: Proposal for enhancements of privilege system

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Peter Eisentraut'" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "'PostgreSQL Development'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: AW: AW: Proposal for enhancements of privilege system
Date: 2000-05-30 13:39:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Of course the grant revoke is the same. But administrative tools
> > usually allow you to dump schema, all rights, triggers ... for an
> > object and thus need access to the system tables containing the
> > grants.
>
> That's what you use the information schema views for.

Ok.

> Also, of course,
> we're light years away from having anything like a portable pg_dump.

Hmm ? I am not talking about pg_dump, I am talking about some graphical tool
that shows the table structure and grants.

> > Imho this is an area that is extremly sensitive to performance, the
> > rights have to be checked for each access.
>
> But using some sort of arrays is going to make it slower in
> any case since
> you can't use indexes on those.

Again Hmm ? Are you going to do select * from <authtable> where pri="select"
or some such ? Usually you look up a users rights for a specific table,
and that needs to be fast.

Andreas