AW: SQL3 UNDER

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Robert B(dot) Easter'" <reaster(at)comptechnews(dot)com>, "'Chris Bitmead'" <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>, "'Postgres Hackers List'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: AW: SQL3 UNDER
Date: 2000-05-25 09:44:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> For multiple
> inheritance, why not just suggest the use of INHERITS, which is
> already a Postgres language extension for multiple
> inheritance. UNDER covers
> the tree/hierarchy situation, so make it only to SQL3 standards.
> INHERIT fits the clone/copy/inherits situation that, like I've
> said before, is like starting a new tree.

Imho the difference is so marginal, that I would not like to see two
different implementations. Informix e.g. took what Illustra had
for inherits and only changed the keyword to under, which is imho
what we should do.

When calling functions with a class argument they do pass all attributes
of subclasses to it. They use late function binding, so you can define
different functions for different subclasses having the same name.
They only show parent columns when doing 'select * from class' that has
subclasses.

Andreas