Re: Selectivity of "=" (Re: [HACKERS] Index not used on simple se lect)

From: Zeugswetter Andreas IZ5 <Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Selectivity of "=" (Re: [HACKERS] Index not used on simple se lect)
Date: 1999-07-28 15:45:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> BTW, this argument proves rigorously that the selectivity of a search
> for any value other than the MFOV is not more than 0.5, so there is some
> basis for my intuition that eqsel should not return a value above 0.5.
> So, in the cases where eqsel does not know the exact value being
> searched for, I'd still be inclined to cap its result at 0.5.

Yes, this is imho an easy and efficient fix. I would even use a lower value,
like 0,3.
Good database design would not create an index for such bad selectivity
anyway.
So if you have a performance problem because of so bad selectivity,
the advice is to drop the index.

If you plan to store explicit key values, I would do this in an extra
statistic,
that stores bunches of equally sized buckets, and distinct values for very
badly
scewed values.

Example assuming int index column:
from to nrow_estimate
101 20000 9997
20001 100000 10014

badly scewed values (excluded in above table):
val nrow_estimate
1 100000
5 1000000

But imho this is an overkill, and seldom useful.

Andreas