AW: [HACKERS] fsynch of pg_log write..

From: Zeugswetter Andreas IZ5 <Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: AW: [HACKERS] fsynch of pg_log write..
Date: 1999-06-25 14:10:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > committed". The problem is when a client is told something,
> > that is not true after a crash, which can happen if the second
> > flush is left out.
>
> But commercial db's do that. They return 'done' for every query, while
> they write they log files ever X seconds. We need to allow this. No
> reason to be more reliable than commercial db's by default. Or, at
> least we need to give them the option because the speed advantage is
> huge.

I agree, but commercial db's don't do that.
Oracle does not (only on Linux).
Informix only does it when you specially create the database
(create database dada with buffered log;) I always use it :-)
Informix has a log buffer, which is flushed at transaction commit
(unbuffered logging) or when the buffer is full (buffered logging).
None of them do any "every X seconds stuff".

Andreas