important Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.5 items

From: ZEUGSWETTER Andreas IZ5 <Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: important Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.5 items
Date: 1999-06-04 08:49:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hiroshi wrote:
> Ole Gjerde who provided the patch for current implementation of
> mdtruncate() sayz.
> "First, please reverse my patch to mdtruncate() in md.c as soon as
> possible. It does not work properly in some cases."
>
> I also recommend to reverse his patch to mdtruncate().
>
> Though we could not shrink segmented relations by old implementation
> the result by vacuum would never be inconsistent(?).
>
> I think we don't have enough time to fix this.

If there is no fix for vacuum, I suggest to change the filesize before
splitting
back to just below 2 Gb (2Gb - 8k). Else vacuum will only work for tables
up to 1 Gb, and it did work up to 2 Gb before.

I am the one who suggested 1 Gb, so I had my eye on this issue.
I still think 1 Gb is good for various reasons, but only if vacuum works.

Andreas