Re: Buffer overflow when continuously send SIGHUP to postgres

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ChiJin Zhou <tlock(dot)chijin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Buffer overflow when continuously send SIGHUP to postgres
Date: 2020-04-14 15:48:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

ChiJin Zhou <tlock(dot)chijin(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> 3. continuously send SIGHUP to the server process like:
> 4. and the server process exit with address boundary error.

This was fixed in HEAD at [1]. Our current thought is not to
back-patch that, though, as it doesn't seem like a case likely to be
much of a problem in practice, and the patch has not yet survived
a beta test cycle so it's not risk-free.

regards, tom lane

[1] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git&a=commitdiff&h=9abb2bfc0