Re: check_function_bodies: At least the description seems wrong, since we have prodedures

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Cc: "Daniel Westermann (DWE)" <daniel(dot)westermann(at)dbi-services(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: check_function_bodies: At least the description seems wrong, since we have prodedures
Date: 2021-04-09 16:17:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net> writes:
> On 04/09/21 08:11, Daniel Westermann (DWE) wrote:
>> At least the description should mention procedures.
>> Even the parameter name seems not to be correct anymore. Thoughts?

> It's possible the parameter name also appears in documentation for
> out-of-tree PLs, as each PL's validator function determines what
> "check_function_bodies" really means in that setting.

That parameter is also set explicitly in pg_dump output, so we
can't rename it without breaking existing dump files.

Admittedly, guc.c does have provisions for substituting new names
if we rename some parameter. But I'm not in a hurry to create
more instances of that behavior; the potential for confusion
seems to outweigh any benefit.

+1 for updating the description though. We could s/function/routine/
where space is tight.