Re: New VACUUM FULL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New VACUUM FULL
Date: 2010-01-05 01:35:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> Changes required to remove it are at least these places
>>
>> * most of vacuum.c
>> * visibility checks
>> * heap tuple flags and xvac
>> * nontransactional validation
>> * minor points and follow up in >7 files, >12 places

> Doesn't sound trivial.

The above is a vast overstatement of the problem. Simon is not only
talking about removing VACUUM FULL, he's talking about removing every
trace that it ever existed, eg deleting support for MOVED_OFF/MOVED_IN
tuple status flags. We are *not* doing that, not now nor in the
foreseeable future. As long as we have any ambition of having in-place
upgrade from pre-8.5 we have to handle the MOVED status bits the same as
we do now.

AFAICS, ripping out most of the guts of vacuum.c is about all that's
likely to happen for 8.5.