Re: Array of composite types returned from python

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ronan Dunklau <ronan(dot)dunklau(at)dalibo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Sim Zacks <sim(at)compulab(dot)co(dot)il>, ebehn(at)arinc(dot)com, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Array of composite types returned from python
Date: 2014-07-02 05:55:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ronan Dunklau <ronan(dot)dunklau(at)dalibo(dot)com> writes:
> Le dimanche 29 juin 2014 16:54:03 Tom Lane a =E9crit :
>> 1. While I think the patch does what it intends to, it's a bit distressing
>> that it will invoke the information lookups in PLyObject_ToComposite over
>> again for *each element* of the array. We probably ought to quantify that
>> overhead to see if it's bad enough that we need to do something about
>> improving caching, as speculated in the comment in PLyObject_ToComposite.

> I don't know how to do that without implementing the cache itself.

I don't either, but my thought was that we could hack up a simple
one-element cache pretty trivially, eg static info and desc variables
in PLyObject_ToComposite that are initialized the first time through.
You could only test one composite-array type per session with that
sort of kluge, but that would be good enough for doing some simple
performance testing.