Re: Rename max_parallel_degree?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rename max_parallel_degree?
Date: 2016-05-31 18:13:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Tuesday, May 31, 2016, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I really think that a GUC named "max_parallel_workers", which in fact
>> limits the number of workers and not something else, is the way to go.

> What is your opinion on the internal name for this? Leave it as "degree"?

If that proposal is accepted, I am willing to go through the code and
rename everything internally to match (and, in fact, would insist on
that happening). But I think the current debate is primarily around
how we present this to users, so talking about the documentation seems
sufficient for the moment.

> The change from two to three for the default sneaked in there...

Well, that would be the same effective value under Robert's patch.