Re: i feel like compelled !

From: Gianni <nasus(dot)maximos(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: i feel like compelled !
Date: 2015-05-13 23:05:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Oh well... then, THANKS GUYS!!!

I'm not the original poster, btw.

I felt a bit 'abandoned' a while back, since I started using
Interbase/Firebird since, like, ~2000. But since Firebird never really took
off, I felt I had to look for better solutions. I worked with Oracle for a
bit, and then MySQL. But I found Oracle to be expensive (obviously) and too
intrusive into my OS (Linux, many flavours, but mostly RedHat-based).

What I really liked about Firebird, and then Postgres made me feel right at
home, was standards-compliance with SQL and great feature set. I find myself
most-often-than-not guessing how something ought to work in Postgres, based on
past experiences, and finding that it works exactly (mostly) like it 'should'.
Plus, I found many new things that I loved and changed the way I think about
stuff, like using Python for SP, JSON fields and RegEx in WHERE. And a special
mention to the Async NOTIFY stuff which finally works like it 'should' in a DB
(Firebird had something like that, but with no payload).

Also, how postgres is easy to deploy really helps. For example, I use it with
a Qt App, which is compiled in MinGW. So I recompiled libpq with the same
compiler, thus avoiding extra DLLs.

Thanks!