Re: Hints (Was: Index Tuning Features)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Casey Duncan <casey(at)pandora(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hints (Was: Index Tuning Features)
Date: 2006-10-13 01:09:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Casey Duncan <casey(at)pandora(dot)com> writes:
> Yes, but it may be much more efficient for the human to tell the
> computer than for the computer to introspect things. Take, for
> example, ndisinct as data grows large.

Yeah, an override estimate for a column's ndistinct seems a perfect
example of the sort of statistical hint that I'd be in favor of having.
We have also talked about solving the multi-column statistics problem
(which, at its core, is "which combinations of columns are worth
accumulating stats for?" --- you can't possibly store stats for every
combination!) by having what would amount to hints from the DBA saying
"keep stats for these combinations".