Re: alter server for foreign table

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Derry Hamilton <rasilon(dot)x(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: alter server for foreign table
Date: 2017-09-30 21:08:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> I assume the proposal is to allow changing to a different server using
> the same FDW. I can see all sorts of odd things happening if we allow
> changing to a server of a different FDW.

As long as we check that the table's FDW options are acceptable to the
new FDW, where's the problem? I could see there being an issue if we
provided any hook whereby FDW could have a say during CREATE FOREIGN
TABLE (or DROP FOREIGN TABLE), but we don't. So as far as the FDWs
are concerned, this should be little different from dropping the foreign
table and then remaking it attached to the new server.