Re: speeding up inserts

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Chris Ochs" <chris(at)paymentonline(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: speeding up inserts
Date: 2004-01-01 17:47:19
Lists: pgsql-general

"Chris Ochs" <chris(at)paymentonline(dot)com> writes:
> Is this a crazy way to handle this?

Depends. Do you care if you lose that data (if the system crashes
before your daemon can insert it into the database)? I think the
majority of the win you are seeing comes from the fact that the data
doesn't actually have to get to disk --- your "write to file" never
gets further than kernel disk buffers in RAM.

I would think that you could get essentially the same win by aggregating
your database transactions into bigger ones. From a reliability point
of view you're doing that anyway --- whatever work the daemon processes
at a time is the real transaction size.