Re: FE/BE Protocol - Specific version

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Badger <bruce_badger(at)badgerse(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FE/BE Protocol - Specific version
Date: 2003-08-29 20:54:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> Tom, just curious as to what your resistance is to this feature? ISTM
> that making this admin modifiable doesn't hurt anyone and could be
> helpful to some people.

Admin modifiable at what level? I don't believe that the "feature" is
valuable enough to warrant defining, implementing, and documenting a GUC
variable, let alone adding a pg_hba.conf column which one could imagine
someone wanting instead. I suggested a simple source code change, and
I think that's quite sufficient when we have only one request for it
with a not-very-compelling rationale. There are much more useful tweaks
(eg, altering BLCKSZ) that we have equivalent levels of support for.