Re: Docbook 5.x

From: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Docbook 5.x
Date: 2017-09-20 13:00:00
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hello Peter,
19.09.2017 23:05, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> I would choose some standard way to have separate content in the same
>> file, but if the overhead is not acceptable, and we're not going to
>> extend the profiling usage, then we need to invent something that will
>> complicate XML-related processing (I think about translation but the
>> other issues are possible too).
> It's only for the INSTALL file and won't get used anywhere else, so I
> think it's OK to have a bit of an ad-hoc system.
Well, then I would suggest to place all the extra content in the
installation-single.xsl file and to add all the alternate text to
installation.xml.
I would like to place such alternate text in an attribute
"standalonetext" or alike, but DocBook 4.x doesn't allow for extra
attributes, so we need to choose from:
http://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/4.5/ref-elements.html#common.attributes
So I decided to make alternative use of xreflabel attribute. (I believe
that we could find something more appropriate after migrating from
Docbook 4.2 to 5.x).)

Please see patches/xml/installation.patch in the attachment (or
installation.xml in doc/src/xml after ) for an example.
Makefile (in patches/xml/) is adjusted for the new approach too.
(Main output is slightly changed after switching from
"profile-chunk.xsl" to "chunk.xsl", I'll fix it later if we choose this
way.)
(Archive in the attachment is packed twice to avoid the automatic patch
checking...)

Best regards,
Alexander

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg-doc.check+.tar.bz2 application/x-bzip 23.9 KB