Re: Vacuum

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Chris Ruprecht" <chrup999(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "p-admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuum
Date: 2001-07-16 22:59:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Chris Ruprecht" <chrup999(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> Can somebody explain to me what this vacuum is doing with all these
> files?

Just wasting space, I'm afraid. You may want to apply the patch at

http://www.ca.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-patches/2001-06/msg00061.html

However, if the database consists of several small tables and not one
huge one, I'm not sure why VACUUM's WAL log might grow so long. The
log should be truncatable after each table is vacuumed, even without
the patch.