Re: Parsing config files in a directory

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Date: 2009-10-25 22:06:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I don't really understand this. What usage habits do we need to
> change?

The assumption that it's okay to document what you've done with
something like

# work_mem = '1GB'
# changed to give saner behavior 10/25/08
work_mem = '10MB'

> The problem is that people expect that the setting for some
> GUC is going to be near the comment block that describes that GUC.

Or more generally, that the comments they've put next to a setting
are going to stay next to it. Once again: this isn't about the
instructions.