Re: executor relation handling

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: executor relation handling
Date: 2018-10-01 13:49:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> On 2018/10/01 2:18, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think that the call sites should ultimately look like
>> Assert(CheckRelationLockedByMe(...));
>> but for hunting down the places where the assertion currently fails,
>> it's more convenient if it's just an elog(WARNING).

> Should this check that we're not in a parallel worker process?

Hmm. I've not seen any failures in the parallel parts of the regular
regression tests, but maybe I'd better do a force_parallel_mode
run before committing.

In general, I'm not on board with the idea that parallel workers don't
need to get their own locks, so I don't really want to exclude parallel
workers from this check. But if it's not safe for that today, fixing it
is beyond the scope of this particular patch.