Re: postdrv & 'query string to long' revisted

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: CB <craigbe(at)ids(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postdrv & 'query string to long' revisted
Date: 2000-05-29 17:29:24
Lists: pgsql-general

CB <craigbe(at)ids(dot)net> writes:
> Is there a workaround to the 8K query size limit? I'm trying to export
> some tables from access and am encountering the dreaded 'query string
> too long' problem.

Which ODBC driver are you using?

It looks like no one has gotten round to teaching ours that there is
no more query length limit --- it still has hardwired internal buffer
sizes :-(. But the limit it imposes appears to be 16K not 8K in the
current code. If you are getting 8K then you are probably using a
very old version of the ODBC code, or maybe someone else's driver
entirely.

A quick-hack solution is just to increase MAX_QUERY_SIZE in
src/interfaces/odbc/psqlodbc.h to whatever you need.